The University of Maryland’s Thoracic Aortic Disease Research Lab (TADR Lab) seeks a Laboratory Research Manager to join their interdisciplinary team and contribute to multiple NIH-funded projects.
UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021).
This EXEMPT position offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
• Responsible for managing the operations of a single or multiple research laboratory(s) and provide administrative and technical support to the research activities. This position is responsible for ensuring the design, development, documentation, and implementation of research procedures and protocols using a variety of complex activities. Contribute to the creation of new laboratory or expansion of existing laboratory(s).
• Manage laboratory staff including training, scheduling, coordinating, and delegating work, monitoring and evaluating performance to promote maximum staff member benefit and effectiveness as well as overall functional productivity.
• Manage the development and execution of research studies. Revises studies, in consultation with upper management or principal investigator, to meet changing needs and requirements and enforces standards.
• Manage laboratory operations including the budget, ensuring quality control and safety compliance, developing policies and procedures, and ordering supplies. Identify and address issues and deficiencies and
implement effective solutions.
• Significant prior experience in working with tissue explants, mammalian cell culture (preferably smooth muscle cells and/or endothelial cells), RNA and protein isolation from tissue and cultured cells, real-time PCR, Western blotting, microplate assays, molecular biology, histology, immunocytochemistry, and microscopy. Prior experience with 3D scaffold-based cell culture models, fibrin gel models, and cell stretching bioreactors (e.g., Flexcell) is preferred.
• Keep meticulous records and utilize highly developed organizational skills
• Be proficient with computers and common software packages (e.g., Microsoft Office, SYSTAT (or similar), Sigma Plot, Matlab, Photoshop, etc.).
• May perform laboratory maintenance and laboratory research activities required by the study(s).
• May assemble and assist with literature research, editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations, and computer graphics for publication.
• Provide for establishment or development of laboratory by evaluating equipment or machinery to be ordered, planning interactions with IT systems, and drafting Standard Operating Procedures for using new equipment.
• Foster and support a conducive consultant/client environment, providing business unit and campus representatives with assessment, training, and advisement in research area.
• Perform other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or field of study related to the research of the laboratory. M.S. or Ph.D. degree strongly Preferred
Experience: Six (6) years of experience working in a research laboratory setting that includes four (4) years in the relevant research specialization. Two (2) years of direct supervision or responsibility for training, work coordination, and monitoring the work of others.
Other: May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials, and/or ionizing radiation. May include working in biohazardous/select agents and/or in Biosafety Level-3 Laboratories (ABSL-3) which require
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of position requirements. Thorough knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in the effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to support a mission and strategic vision. Instructional, training and team building skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships. Skill in consultation and change management. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience ($70K to mid $80K)
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu.
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CLICK TO APPLY