The Division of Cardiac, Thoracic & Vascular Surgery at Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons is accepting applications for a Postdoctoral Research Scientist.
Individual will be responsible for management of laboratory functions and development of a research program that focuses on translational research and basic science applied to pediatric cardiac surgery. Our lab and collaborating partners combine expertise in tissue engineering, stem cell, molecular & cellular heart valve biology, tissue biomechanics, polymer science, mechanical engineering, biomedical engineering, small and large animal models, medical device development, prototyping, clinical trial and patent writing.
Our current projects include the development of growth-accomodating valved device, ventricular assist device, new biomaterials and tissue-engineered constructs.
We seek highly motivated, meticulous, highly organized individuals who enjoy working in a team while concomitantly desiring to pursue their own ideas in a very supportive environment. candidates passionate about using their research and technical skills for to improve the outcomes of patients with congenital heart diseases have a strong plus.
Minimum Degree Required: BS and/or MS in Polymer Science and/or Mechanical Engineering and/or Biomedical Engineering and PhD, MD or MD/PhD
1) 1-3 years experience in tissue engineering, preferably vascular or valvar tissue engineering
2) 1-3 years experience in biomedical engineering and polymer processing methods
3) 1-3 years experience in experimental and microvascular surgery
4) At least 3 peer-reviewed publications, as first, second or third author
5) At least 5 peer-reviewed publications
6) Knowledge in polymer science
7) High level English speaking/writing
8) Strong article/grant writing skills
1) Awardee of high-level research grants, preferably from NIH (K99) or NSF or AHA, 10 peer-reviewed publications, preferably as first or second authors
2) 5 years experience in tissue engineering, preferably vascular or valvar tissue engineering
3) 5 years experience in biomedical engineering and polymer processing methods
4) 5 years experience in experimental and microvascular surgery
5) Experience in research projects related to heart valves
6) Knowledge in heart valve biology
7) Previous experience in medical device development and/or biomaterial development
Proposed Start Date: 12/01/2020
To apply: https://pa334.peopleadmin.com/postings/6423